Have you ever bought that periwinkle dress you’ve been eyeing and realized it look terrible on yourself? Then, you might have warm undertones.
Or have you ever swiped on a red lipstick and it looked horrendous? Then, you probably have cooler undertones.
UNDERSTANDING YOUR SKINTONE:
- If you tan more readily than burn.
- If gold accessories compliment you better
- Generally, you might be tanner, have dark hair, and brown or hazel eyes
- If your veins appear green
- Earth-tones, peaches, reds, and corals look best (in terms of clothing)
- Your skin pops in true red lipstick
- If you burn more readily than tan
- If silver accessories look better
- Generally, you might be paler, have lighter hair, and green, gray, or blue eyes.
- If your veins appear blue or purple
- Jewel-tones, silvers, and cool pink look best
- Your skin pops when wearing a more blue-based red or light pink lip color.
For the gold vs. silver jewelry test, look at which metal makes your skin glow and teeth brighten. Do your eyes look clear and bright?
It may be discouraging, not looking good in your favorite colors. But here are some tips to still incorporate warmer colors on cooler skin and cooler colors on warm skin:
If you love red lipstick, choose colors that fit you palette. If you have a warm skin tone, choose true reds and bright pinks. If you have cool skin tone, choose blue-based red colors.
You can still wear your favorite colors, but you can adjust the shade. Take the color, yellow for example. If you are warm, choose bright or earthy shades; if you are blue, choose soft and light yellows.
*Take into consideration that these “rules” are not set in stone. Just like you choose the shape of clothing to best fit your body, you may adjust the type of colors to best compliment your skin tone.
For example, I have a warm skin tone (dark hair, brown eyes, tan skin), but I still love wearing blue. While light sky blues make me look blotchy, navy and dark blues enhance my olive undertones:
Bright tomato reds and oranges look great on warm skin tones:
As you can see, the olive shirt had earthy tones, so it compliments my warm skintone.
Since I am not cool-toned, here are some celebrities who ARE cool-toned. Look closely at the shades that they are wearing. Most celebrities hire an image consultant, who are aware of what makes their skin and other features stand out on the red carpet.
- Taylor Swift
2. Anne Hathaway
3. Cara Delevingne
While I am not a registered color analyst, I hope these tips will help you look your best and enhance your natural features.
Sheryl C. ❤